I am making many small changes to make a healthier life for myself and my family. One step forward, possibly some backwards too. Join me on my journey ...

Smarter ways to live well


Saturday, January 9, 2010

acai ?




I bought a juice the other day, that claims to contain acai juice. As it was listed last in the list of natural ingredients I don't know how much acai berry was actually in the juice, along with  apple, grape, orange, banana, pomergranate  and blueberry. It was very tasty, but I had no idea what acai was.

Well, acai is in fact a berry and fruit of the acai palm tree. Having no idea whether this was actually beneficial I did some research and found an interesting article written by Lisa Sheldon which spotlights the issue of so called "superfoods" and the claims made on their behalf, usually without evidence, but obviously to make someone money somewhere along the food chain. I feel that, so often in a search for an instant cure that causes us no pain, we run in the direction of these "fast cures" and super foods, and if, as Sheldon states, "The average antioxidant capacity of the acai juice ranked lower than pomegranate juice, Concord grape juice, blueberry juice and red wine" then indeed "we should continue to rely on familiar foods with well-established health benefits"

No comments:

Post a Comment