I am making many small changes to make a healthier life for myself and my family. One step forward, possibly some backwards too. Join me on my journey ...

Smarter ways to live well


Sunday, January 10, 2010

opinions, opinions



Well, the gastroenterologist  had no magic cure for me. He is the opinion that surgery to remove part of the colon is the way to go. Presently, I run the risk of developing an antibiotic resistant bacteria which could be nasty or I could suffer an acute attack and have to present as an emergency and run the risk of major infection, drastic surgery and even a colostomy bag which could be permanent. The down side is that I could suffer chronic diarrhoea after the surgery - but I shouldn't have diverticulitis again.

The surgery can be performed laproscopically, and hospital stay is about 1-4 days. Full recovery can take up to 8 weeks. I guess that it is better to have it now, while I am "healthy" and not employed. Financially it is a knock we could really do without right now as I need to get a regular income. Oh well, better to get things sorted out now and back into a new career after that.

I am still going to see the dietician. She can assist me with a pre and post surgery diet at least.

I am tired of being stoic over health issues. I know a lot of people have far, far worse, but it is so tiresome always having some health issue. Next time around I am going to ask for better gene selection!

No comments:

Post a Comment