I am making many small changes to make a healthier life for myself and my family. One step forward, possibly some backwards too. Join me on my journey ...

Smarter ways to live well


Sunday, January 24, 2010

aussie, aussie, aussie - MUFFINS!

Usually for Australia Day (January 26th) I bake ANZAC buscuits, but off the list this year as I can't eat rolled oats. Lamingtons off the menu too, as I am not allowed coconut. No pavlova as no fruit allowed! Not many traditional Australian goodies open to me, so I went all creative and made an original. Meet the Aussie Lime Muffin - in our national colours of green and gold!



 
Having a restricted diet can be difficult and boring, but one just has to think creatively and just work with what you are allowed. It may take imagination, and not be orthodox, but it can relieve the stress and the boredom of a restricted diet. I think it is important to have fun, and to include others as well. I made a dozen muffins and all our guests had one and though it was a very simple muffin, they all enjoyed the fun side as I coloured the batter in our Australian national colours and used coloured sugar in the same green and gold to decorate the icing. It marks the celebration, the guests know that you cared enough to make something for them, and yet you manage to stay within your diet.
 
I think it is important to try and include others in your menu selection as it makes everything harder if you feel that you have to miss out ,or have a special meal prepared for you. Of course, it can't always be that way, but just try and think about what you can do. It also educates people to what your issues are and models for them the food that you can eat, so that if they have to provide a meal for you, they already have examples of some foods that they can serve you.
 
Happy dining! Happy Australia Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment